Creighton's Health Insurance Requirement
To ensure the student’s academic success, Creighton University requires that all full-time students (Undergraduate = 12 credits/semester; Graduate = 8 credits/semester) be covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan* for the entire academic year.
- New and returning students are auto-enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan.
- If a student already has a comprehensive insurance plan, he/she must waive the coverage through the NEST. International students (on an F-1 or J-1 visa) are not eligible to waive the health insurance coverage.
- The online waiver process begins each July 1st and continues through the deadline of September 6th. This information is required on an annual basis.
- The premium for the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan will remain on the student’s account unless the waiver process is completed before the deadline.
- When the Health Education and Compliance Office becomes aware of a lapse in the student’s insurance coverage, the student will be automatically enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and the tuition statement will reflect a charge for the entire premium.
*A comprehensive health insurance plan must include the following requirement:
- National coverage for inpatient and outpatient medical care. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement)
- National coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health care. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement)
- Coverage is currently active and maintained for the entire academic year and summer.
- Offers an unlimited lifetime maximum.
Creighton Student Health Insurance Plan
If you need health insurance, our University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan is here for you. The plan:
- Is designed specifically for today’s college student and his/her dependents.
- Provides cost-effective comprehensive coverage.
I’m covered by my parents’ insurance plan. What else do I need to know/do?
Determine the scope of coverage provided by your insurance plan. Determine:
- Do I have comprehensive coverage in the Omaha area (including inpatient and outpatient care for medical and mental health services)?
- Is non-emergent care (i.e., sore throat, colds, injuries, etc.) covered and at what level?
- Are club sports and intercollegiate sports injuries covered?
- Does my plan require a referral when I am out-of-area and how do I get one?
- At what age do I become ineligible for dependent coverage on my parents’ insurance?
Most insurance companies require full-time student enrollment verification. Forms may be submitted to the Creighton University Registrar’s Office for completion (fax: 402-280-2527; registrar [at] creighton [dot] edu).
Who is eligible to enroll in the Creighton Student Health Insurance Plan?
All registered on-campus undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and on-campus graduate/professional students taking 8 or more credit hours are eligible for this insurance plan. Online programs do not fulfill the eligibility requirements except for the following programs: Nursing (Doctor of Nursing Practice) hybrid, Occupational Therapy (OTD) on-campus hybrid, and Pharmacy (PharmD) on-campus hybrid. Eligible students who enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the student’s legal spouse and dependent children under 26 years of age.
Does Creighton offer dental insurance?
Dental insurance is not a Creighton University requirement. UnitedHealthcare offers dental insurance that can be purchased by students. More information is available at www.uhcsr.com/creighton or by calling 1-800-767-0700.
My parents lost their insurance coverage. Do I need to do anything?
Yes. Your family may be eligible for COBRA coverage. COBRA coverage is expensive and you must enroll within 31 days to avoid a lapse in coverage. Another option is to enroll in our University-sponsored Creighton Student Health Insurance plan.
How do I obtain additional information about health insurance?
Email your question to studentinsurance [at] creighton [dot] edu.