Academic Year Waiver
The waiver period for the 2021-2022 plan is now open. Click here to waive coverage if you are already covered by a comprehensive plan (see the FAQ section below for requirements). You can complete the waiver process once you see the charge for insurance on your tuition account.
To ensure students’ academic success, Creighton requires that all full-time students (Undergraduate = 12 credits/semester; Graduate = 8 credits/semester) be covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan for the entire academic year.
- New and returning students are auto-enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan.
- If a student already has a comprehensive insurance plan (see the FAQ section below for requirements), he or she is eligible to waive the University-sponsored coverage after registering for classes.
- The annual online waiver process will close on August 27. This information is required on an annual basis. Students may complete the waiver process once the charge is posted to their tuition account.
- The premium for the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan will remain on the student’s account unless the waiver process is completed before the deadline.
- When the Health Education and Compliance Office becomes aware of a lapse in the student’s insurance coverage, the student will be automatically enrolled in the University-Sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and the tuition statement will reflect a charge for the entire premium.
- Click here to view plan pricing.
Yes, if the plan includes comprehensive coverage.
Contact the customer service line for your insurance carrier to determine the scope of your plan. Some plans have provisions specific to college students, so it will be helpful to mention that this is your circumstance. If you have a comprehensive plan you may waive the University plan.
A comprehensive health insurance coverage plan must meet the following compliance requirements:
- National coverage is included for inpatient and outpatient medical care. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement)
- National coverage is included for inpatient and outpatient mental health care. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement)
- Coverage is currently active and maintained for the entire academic year and summer.
- Coverage offers an unlimited lifetime maximum.
If your existing coverage satisfies the University requirement (see tab above), you may proceed with waiving the University-sponsored plan.
You will then be asked to upload an image of the front of your insurance card and an image of the back of your insurance card.
When the information is submitted, it will be verified and you will receive a message confirming the acceptance of your waiver within two weeks of submission.
If your insurance is deemed non-compliant with University requirements you will receive notification that your waiver application was declined and you will be enrolled and charged for the coverage offered through the University.
All registered undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and graduate/professional students taking 8 or more credit hours are automatically enrolled for this insurance plan.
Eligible students who enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the student’s legal spouse and dependent children under 26 years of age.
- You can enroll dependents once you have created your account.
- If you wish to access your insurance materials and access your account prior to the end of the waiver period, please go to the waiver site and choose the opt-in tab and follow the prompts.
- Any student who is in need of health insurance coverage may submit a request for coverage to studentinsurance [at] creighton [dot] edu.
Creighton University requires health insurance. Dental and vision are available, but not required.
UnitedHealthcare offers dental and vision insurance that can be purchased by students. More information is available at uhcsr.com/creighton or by calling 1-800-767-0700.
Yes. Your family may be eligible for COBRA coverage. COBRA coverage is expensive and you must enroll within 31 days to avoid a lapse in coverage. Another option is to enroll in our University-sponsored Creighton Student Health Insurance plan.
Click here for plan options and pricing.
Please ensure the size of the file that you uploaded is less than 8MB in size.
If you continue to have issues, please try completing the form using a different browser.
If you continue to encounter difficulty, contact waiververification [at] uhcsr [dot] com for assistance.
The waiver period closes August 27, and an enrollment message will be emailed to you in the days after. If you wish to access your card and account information before that, click on the waiver process tab and choose “Opt In.”
Click on the waiver process tab and choose “Opt In.” In the days following your submission, you will receive a welcome email with directions on how to set up your account. You will be able to enroll dependents through your UHCSR account.
Please email studentinsurance [at] creighton [dot] edu approximately 30 days before your birthday.