Health and Counseling

Health and Counseling

students talking

Physical and mental health are critical to the well-being of all members of our community. Our medical and mental health professionals work collaboratively to care for the whole person. Comprehensive medical and mental health care is available to students through:

What changes were made to health and counseling services?

A new health care clinic service for students is now available through CHI Health Student Care Clinic which officially opened on July 1, 2019.  There is a designated area for Creighton students at the clinic and it offers extended operational hours for greater appointment availability.  The former Creighton Student Health Services closed on June 28, 2019.  

A new office, the Student Health Education and Compliance Office, was created to provide non-clinical services and will be co-located with Student Counseling Services in Markoe Hall.

Student Counseling Services including psychiatric care will continue to provide mental health services to students from its new location in Markoe Hall. 

Where do students go for health care services?

The CHI Health Clinic – Student Care Clinic is available at 24th and Cuming Streets and is open to all Creighton students for their medical needs. 

Students can schedule an appointment by calling 402-280-2735. Walk-in and same-day appointments are also available. 

What are the hours of operation for the Student Care Clinic?

8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday through Thursday; 8:00am to 5:00 pm on Fridays.

What services are available at the Student Care Clinic?

Board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants will provide the following services from the CHI Health Clinic – Student Care Clinic:

  • Onsite X-rays and CT scans
  • Specialty care on-site: endocrinology, cardiology, neurology, women’s health
  • Additional services: Registered dietitians, diabetes educators, population health coaches, physical and occupational therapists, and pharmacists

Where will students go for psychiatric care?

Psychiatric care will continue to be provided by a board-certified psychiatrist in Student Counseling Services from its new location in Markoe Hall. 

A referral from the CHI Health Clinic – Student Care Clinic or Student Counseling Services is required in order to schedule an appointment.

How does this transition affect Student Counseling Services?

Student Counseling Services has moved to Markoe Hall and continues to provide the same services. 

Counseling appointments can be made by calling 402-280-2735.

How much will services cost at the Student Care Clinic?

It is always important to bring a health insurance card, photo ID and a form of payment to each health visit.  

CHI Health sets its fee schedule for services.

Your health insurance plan will determine whether payment is to be collected at the time of visit. 

If a health insurance plan requires a co-pay, payment must be made before checking in for an appointment.  

I need to transfer my care from my home allergist for immunotherapy (allergy shots). Does CHI offer this service?

Currently, there is not an option at CHI for immunotherapy.  

Will my medical records from the former Creighton Student Health Services be transferred to the Student Care Clinic?

No. Due to privacy laws you must consent to the transfer of your medical records to a new medical office.  Release of information forms may be requested when your appointment is scheduled or you may complete a release at your first visit to the CHI Health Clinic – Student Care Clinic. 

How can I access my records from Student Health Services to have them transferred?

Complete and sign this form and email it to chc [at] creighton [dot] edu.

What services will the Student Health Education and Compliance Office provide?

  • Health education and wellness programming for students
  • Manage the Campus Health Aides
  • Provide campus influenza vaccines clinics (“Shoo the Flu at CU”)
  • Manage the University-sponsored student health insurance plan 
  • Manage student, faculty and staff immunization compliance 
  • Residential students must have immunization requirements completed and immunization records verified by the Health Education and Compliance Officeprior to registering for classes and prior to receiving a housing assignment.
  • Immunization data is entered and uploaded into The BirdHouse.
  • Centralized campus entity for processing and storing immunization, clinical onboarding and health compliance data for students
  • Provide care coordination for students navigating the complex health care system
  • Coordination with CHI Health Clinic-Student Care Clinic 
  • Coordination with Campus Partners (Admissions, Director of Retention, Residential Life, etc.)

Who should I contact with more specific questions?

Call 402.280. 2735 to:

  • Schedule appointment at CHI Health Clinic – Student Health Clinic
  • Schedule a counseling appointment
  • Ask questions regarding:
    • Immuniztion compliance
    • Student health insurance
    • Health care coordination 
    • Student health education programming