During Summer Preview, you and your family will get a sneak peek into what’s to come in your fall semester at Creighton. At this fun and informative two-day event, you will receive all the information and resources you need to successfully transition to life at Creighton. You’ll also have the opportunity to meet your future classmates and professors.
Summer Preview 2020 session options are:
- Session 1: June 1-2
- Session 2: June 4-5
- Session 3: June 8-9
- Session 4: June 11-12
Ready to Register for Summer Preview? Please follow the steps below:
- Ensure you meet Creighton’s immunization requirements and that your records are submitted to the patient portal.
- Complete the registration form (registration will open May 1)
- Mail payment, if applicable, to New Student Orientation (address listed on right)
- Register for a language competency exam, if applicable, by clicking here.
- Review the FAQs (see below)
- Review driving directions and schedule information
- Book your hotel (for family members)
- Sessions are assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
- Sessions are capped at 185 students to accommodate advising needs.
- Individual academic advising and course registration times are randomly assigned, so please plan on attending the entire program (class registration occurs on Day 2 from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm)
- Please bring a laptop or other portable device that connects to the internet to register for courses.
- All students will stay in the residence halls, we do not offer housing to family members and guests.
- If you need to modify your registration, please contact us at newjays [at] creighton [dot] edu or at 402.280.5507.
Summer in the city of Omaha is a busy time! There are numerous camps, conferences, and events that will also be happening throughout the area during the same dates as Summer Preview. One considerably busy event is the College World Series (hosted a few blocks from campus), which begins with opening ceremonies on June 14. Please make your reservations early, and make sure you get the Creighton rate. Click here for a list of local hotel affiliates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Summer Preview 2019
- June 3-4
- June 6-7
- June 10-11
- June 13-14
Cost: Orientation fee, billed on the fall tuition statement
Additional campus housing the night before or after Summer Preview: $27/night.
Family Members & Other Guests
Due: When you register
On-campus housing during the program is not available for non-students. Creighton rates are available at several hotels near campus.
After you register for Summer Preview online and payment has been received, an email confirmation will be sent to you notifying you of the preview session you have been assigned.
Check-in for Summer Preview occurs at the Harper Center and begins at 8 a.m. the first day of the program. The program lasts until 2 p.m. on the second day. You may be able to leave early based on the student’s registration time, but you will not know this until you are on campus and have checked in. Please make travel plans accordingly.
Orientation events are casual! Dress for your own comfort. Air conditioning and summer heat can pose a comfort adjustment issue. Therefore, you should plan to wear layers to adjust to the different indoor and outdoor environments. Students are encouraged to wear tennis shoes because of many active events.
The Creighton Bookstore will be open for your convenience to purchase souvenirs and supplies.
No baby-sitting services or children’s programs are provided; if younger family members attend, they will be charged the full fee and be expected to room and attend meetings with their parents.
Registration materials for Summer Preview will be emailed to all deposited students in early spring. The online registration form will open May 1. To register, complete the registration form online. Payments will be made online during the program registration. Registration is not complete until we have received payment (if applicable).
Once registered, you will receive an email notice confirming your Summer Preview reservation and indicate the session that you have been assigned.
Each preview session is limited to 185 students. We adhere to this limit to accommodate individual advising appointments for each student. Therefore, please register early. The probability of granting your first choice is high, but sessions are filled as reservations are received.
Participation in Summer Preview is strongly encouraged due to course registration, but not required. If you are unable to attend, the fall Welcome Week program will provide many opportunities for you to become better acquainted with Creighton University.
All new freshmen and transfer students will attend Welcome Week in mid-August.
Students, parents, and guests who have prepaid reservations and are unable to attend Summer Preview may cancel subject to the following terms:
- Cancellations must be submitted 48 hours in advance.
- A $10 non-refundable registration fee will be charged per registration.
- The balance will be returned within approximately 10 days if the cancellation is received by letter or phone call in advance of the assigned preview date.
- No refunds will be granted for cancellations received less than 48 hours in advance of the assigned session.
Yes. Students can reserve additional nights in the residence halls for $27/night on a first come, first serve basis.
Please indicate your housing needs on the registration form.
Yes. Students are required to stay on campus because it gives them a chance to experience on-campus living and it also provides them with another opportunity to interact with their peers! Many students cite the overnight stay as one of their favorite parts of Summer Preview!
What to bring
- Mobile phone
- Water Bottle
All rooms are equipped with necessary bed linens, towels, and soap.
Yes. Students may take a Foreign Language Competency Exam during preview sessions. Please note: the competency exam is specifically for students who wish to attempt to test out of the foreign language requirement. Students should register in advance for the exam here. Most students will instead want to take the Foreign Language Placement exam instead, this test can be done online at anytime. You can review the policies about foreign language requirements and testing here.
Students will receive information about registration prior to Summer Preview, but during the program, they will have the opportunity to meet with their Faculty Advisor and create their schedule. Students will register for those classes on Day 2 of Summer Preview.
For the course registration process, we ask that new students bring a laptop or portable device that can connect to the internet with them to their course registration appointment.
All family members are welcome at Summer Preview! Registration for these guests can be completed online so that we can prepare for their meals.
Hotel accommodations for family
Unfortunately we do not have the room in our residence halls to accommodate all our family members, however we have a variety of hotel affiliates that give a special rate to Creighton students and families that are close to campus.
We do not provide daycare services and therefore younger siblings will be expected to attend sessions with parents/guardians.
The Guidebook App is an electronic application that we use to share information about New Student Orientation. It contains the schedules for Summer Preview, Welcome Week, Family Weekend and additional resources for students and families entering the Creighton community.
Download the Guidebook App
1. Download “Guidebook” in your app store.
2. Search “Creighton University” in the search bar (there is no passphrase required).
3. Search through the app for resources, session handouts, and the schedules for when you are on campus.