Founded in 1922, the Creighton Students Union is the comprehensive student government on campus, serving all 8,000 + Creighton students. In its early years, the Students Union founded the weekly school newspaper, The Creightonian, and the yearbook, the Bluejay. Over time, the Students Union has evolved into a complex organization that represents the student body, supports the functioning of student organizations, plans and implements activities to meet the diverse needs of the student body, and holds up Creighton’s Catholic, Jesuit mission of education, service, and the development of the whole person. Specifically, the CSU hosts some of the largest events on campus, including Homecoming, Jaywalk, Fallapalooza, and Senior Week. It also allocates approximately $120,000 to student organizations and sports clubs throughout the year.
You can get involved with CSU by becoming a CSU Fellow or serving as a CSU Representative. Governing positions are also available within CSU. These positions offer real-life leadership and executive skills, including managing hundreds of thousands of dollars of programming funds.
The Creighton Students Union has four branches, which exist and operate cohesively to pass legislation and determine policy and programming:
- Executive Committee: The CSU Executive Committee is comprised of four students who are responsible for the operations of CSU. This includes oversight of the Board of Representatives, Program Board and the Appropriations Committee.
- CSU Fellows: CSU Fellows is a special program offered by CSU to foster rising student leaders as advocates for students at Creighton University. Fellows will learn to cultivate their passions and develop skills necessary to become servant leaders.
- The Cabinet: The CSU Cabinet is composed of the presidents of the student governments of the Graduate School, Medical School, Law School, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, Dental School, Heider College of Business, College of Nursing, College of Arts and Sciences, and College of Professional Studies. These presidents serve as the CSU Board of Directors.
- Board of Representatives: Each student representative in the Creighton Students Union represents roughly 150 students at Creighton University. The representatives are broken down between each of our nine schools and colleges.
- Appropriations Committee: This committee is responsible for making financial recommendations and decisions, especially pertaining to undergraduate student organizations, sports clubs, undergraduate student governments, and non-student organizations.
- Program Board: The Program Board strives to create quality programs for the entire student body to enjoy.